No-boil pasta bake
This started out as a chicken-and-cheese dish (very good!) that we heavily modified for Lent. It’s still very good, and just involves stirring a bunch of things together in a casserole dish — you don’t have to pre-cook the pasta, which is sort of cool. As always, most of the ingredients are negotiable; modify to suit your own tastes.
Pre-heat the oven to 400°.
In a dutch oven or other lidded, oven-safe vessel, stir together:
- 8 oz. of your favorite pasta: macaroni etc. (we’ve been using penne).
- 1 15-oz. can of diced tomatoes, with juices.
- 1 onion, chopped
- several cloves of garlic, chopped
- basil and/or oregano, dried or fresh
- salt and pepper to taste
- bell pepper, chopped (we often use a bagged frozen “pepper and onion” mix from the supermarket. Thaw it first.)
- Several mushrooms, sliced.
- 2 cups water
- A few dashes of hot sauce if you want it spicy
Bake, covered, for one hour.
That’s it. It may look a little soupy when it comes out of the oven, but as it cools it will set nicely. With a good salad, it’s a meal.